Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Induction Day. October 29, 2011

 I thought to start this blog to document the new life we are about to start with our new baby girl, Mia Elizabeth. I should have started from the very begining BUT this day was the most life changing thing I have ever gone through and it means the most to me so here it is.

     38 weeks & 4 days
 Dr. Don Simpson and his staff had determined that Mia was going to be rather big because of not only Steven and I being big babies but I also had GD. Her estimated weight was between 8lbs & 10lbs so we decided to induce. 5am on October 29th Steven and I arrived at Magnolia Regional Heath Center in Corinth, Ms. I was excited and a little nervous but most of all I felt relieved! After being admitted they started my pitocin(sp) drip at 6am. My contractions weren't that bad. After 4 hours the Dr. came in and that's where it all seemed to speed up. At 10:15am he broke my water and put an internal monitor on the baby so those awful monitors on my belly could be removed (I hate those damn things). After he broke my water my contractions started coming 2 mins apart and were semi-strong. They never really got bad. The nurses kept asking over and over and over if I needed the epidural but I refused because I wasn't in THAT much pain. About 4 hours after my water broke they finally talked me into getting the epidural and I'm glad I did. However, 5 mins after I got it my blood pressure dropped soo much I had to have 2 bags of IV fluid and had to be checked every 15 mins.It was pretty scary. I couldn't see Steven and I didn't like that at all. But epidural kicked in and I was feeling good, so good I fell asleep for HOURS it seemed like. Getting closer the contractions got stronger and I was sstarting to feel them again so the gave me another dose of meds through my IV but the pain never really went away. I guess it's what they call a "Hotspot" (a place where on the body where the epidural doesn't work)
 We started to push at almost 11:00pm but we were just "practice pushing" So I knew how to do it and what it should feel like. When I started to push I failed to mention that I still had feeling on the left side because the urge to push at that time was so great that's all I wanted to do. Into the pushing about 30mins I hear the nurse say "O.K. next contraction coming up, let's push really hard." I was game for it so when it came I bared down and right when I was about to push I heard them both yell "STOP!!! Don't push! Don't push! She's right there and we need the Dr." I'm freakin' out at this time because all I could do was push. I couldn't stop it. I guess all the pushing I was doing.. I was doing it very well and she was coming sooner than anyone thought. So I tried so hard to stay calm and NOT push when the big contractions came. Steven was right there by my side and he was the most awesome man in the world to have there. He wasn't too assertive or too shy about things. He was just how he needed to be. FOURTY-FIVE MINS later, yes that's right, 45 mins! Like 15 mins less of ONE whole hour the Dr. FINALLY showed up and when he I seem him and felt the next contraction I pushed. Her head was half way out for 45 mins! My poor child! Her head came through with lots of tearing on the inside but her shoulders weren't coming through so easily SOOO he had to cut me & when he cut I felt EVERY inch. I almost came off the bed it hurt so bad. It was the most intense, unbarable pain I have ever felt in my intire like and I thought "OMG!!" A mild panic attack later as he started to stitch me up I finally had enough sence to tell him that I could feel on the left side. As soon as he knew that I got pumped full of drugs. Funny thing is.. none of them took the pain away. I just fell asleep. He worked on stitching me up for about an hour, the longest hour of my life (even though I was in and out of sleep). I was all done & I had Steven by my side again AND he was holding the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Our daughter!! All the pain in the world didn't match that moment!
 The family came in and we got to keep Mia for an hour. She was absolutely amazing when she was born. Oxygen level was 98! Her color was great. She weighed 8lbs 15oz. 20.5 inches long! Head and chest were both 36cm. Perfect.
 They took her to the nursery at about 3am so Steven and I could get some sleep and the Dr could check her over. That morning they told me that I had a 4th degree episiotomy. The worst you can get. Lucky me, eh. I couldn't get up without wanting to faint/passout. I couldn't hold Mia for longer than a few mins without gettin light headed or seeing spots. It was the most awful feeling. They check my BP and blood cell levels all day long and all through the night. They even considered a blood transfusion :(
 All the tests came back ok and they finally said I could go home. It's usually the parents waiting on the babies to get a good bill of health but Mia had to wait on me this time.

     Would I have another child? I say "No." & everyone says that I will change my mind but when I think about the pain and the fear I start to panic. It scared me to death. It's something that I honestly never want to experience again and Steven agrees. He told me he couldnt go through it again either. Don't get me wrong it couldn't have been soo much worse and more things could have went wrong. I believe the Lord has his hand on my husband and I and my daughter. He knew what I could handle but it was also him showing me my limits. Every woman should experience it and enoying being a mother. I love Mia with my whole heart. With every breath in my lungs & I wouldn't give her back for the world but we won't have another.

Mia Elizabeth McCallus
October 30, 2011
12:07am
8lbs 15oz & 20.5in

No comments:

Post a Comment